Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The 5 People You Meet in Heaven

Cynthia wrote about this book in her blog. And I've been wanting to read this book for a while and I never got around to buying the book. On the way back from Spore, I bought this book. And I read it within a day. It's one of the books that I can't put down. Love Mitch Albom. His other book, Tuesdays with Morries got me thinking as well.

Not going to talk about the book...but rather the people that I would like to meet that have passed on before me. People that I really miss.

The first person that I really want to meet first is Grandpa. I miss Grandpa a lot. He passed on when I was 10 years old. He left a deep impact on me. I remember as a kid, we used to go to Grandpa's house for dinner on Sundays. Grandma would cook dinner and us kids would run wild. Sometimes he'll play these IQ puzzles with us. I want to tell Grandpa thanks for adopting mum and treating us like his own. I want to tell Grandpa that Grandma is fine and she misses him as well. And importantly, I've talked to Grandma and in a few years' time, she'll join him in heaven. Although, I would dread for that to happen.

The second person, Ah Gong. Ah Gong speaks only Hokkien or Teochew and I wonder what language will i converse with him? Maybe language will not be an issue then. First thing that I've to tell him is that I'm sorry for not sharing the gospel with him. When he was sick, very sick, I prayed for that his sufferings will end soon, but in that prayer, it was also that I'm praying for him to go as well. And he's not a Christian and of course, I shouldn't have prayed for that. When he passed on, I felt horrible. I was 18 when he passed on and I never once shared the gospel with him and now he's suffering in eternity.

The third person, Uncle Albert. I want to tell him that I'm really really sorry that I never shared the gospel with him. I'm sorry for not being able to give you the good news and for you to suffer now. Uncle Albert passed on about 2 years ago. He had cancer. I knew he was sick and I thought that I would be able somehow to get someone to share the gospel with him. But before I could do anything, I got a call from Monster while I was in Hong Kong holidaying that he had passed on. I felt horrible. It was like being punched in the stomach! Uncle Albert was like another dad to me. I spent heaps and heaps of time in his house and I never expected him to go without much of a warning.

The fourth person is Ah Qiang, or Randall as he called himself when he got older. He passed on in Mar 1999. My first cousin to pass on. I remember vividly been on the train going home when Jackie called me to tell me that he passed on. Of course, I was shocked! Apparently, he fell off a construction site. As kids, we spent heaps and heaps of time together. We spent our holidays together, playing together with Morgan, Monster and Sharon. It was so much fun then....But the sad bit, again, I never shared the gospel with him. And I wonder how is he now? Sometimes I wish that I don't believe in the concept of hell....But guess, that's not an option.

The last person that I would love to meet, is Adrian. Adrian and me share the same birthday. He was like an older brother that I never had. He was very encouraging and a nurturing leader. He passed on in Mar 2000, I think. He had a brain tumor. We used to hang out in church all the time. I want to ask him, how's things in heaven? Is he having fun? It was really hard knowing that Adrian was suffering so much before he passed on and when he did passed on, in some ways, I was glad that he's gone home to the Lord. I miss Adrian a lot. He was someone that I wanted to be at my wedding.

There you go, the 5 people that have passed on that I really want to meet. There are people in our lives that have made impacts, be it positive or negative. There are people that you really love and can't imagine life without them. And there are people in our lives that we don't even know that have impacts on us. In every phrase of my life, I've met people that have become very very dear to me. It's almost like God has placed them in my life for a purpose. So readers, (if I've any at all...) in my comments' part, write the 5 people that have passed on that you'll really want to meet again. Even just for another glimpse....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel the same abt most of the people you mentioned too.guess its the guilt that causes it.But I'm working up the courage to tell people in the family about God..still working on it and it doesn't seem to be soon yet.It'd better be soon than to wait for another death/budhist funeral in the family

sunniefaith said...

Sometimes it can be hard to share the gospel with family and close friends. Honestly, I've no guts.....Sad, huh...but I'm working on it...will pray for them