Monday, September 03, 2007

Seeking God's Will

I have to be honest and say that I do enjoy living overseas, away from family and friends. Well, not that I don't love my family and friends but I find that each time I live overseas, my walk with God is closer, I begin to trust God more and I find that people that I meet have an impact and that it is God that leads me to them. It's increasing apparent to me that God is so real and that nothing, absolutely nothing happens for nothing! Will talk more about that later.

I remember when I was growing up in Singapore, the song below was one of my favourites. Last night after speaking to Joanne, I felt a little down. No, my sister's great, nothing to do with her. But rather it was about me wanting to adopt and my parents' view that got me a little down. It didn't help that I was not able to share with Babe as he's away in Germany. It was one of the first times in my life that I truly felt alone and not know who to turn to. Then for some reason, this song floated into my head.

Did You Ever Talk to God Above

Did you ever talk to God above?
Tell Him that you need a friend to love,
Pray in Jesus' name believing that God answers prayer.

Have you ever told Him all your cares and woes?
Every tiny little fear He knows,
You can know He'll always hear and He will answer prayer.

You can whisper in a crowd to Him.
You can cry when you're alone to Him.
You don't have to pray out loud to Him.
He knows your thoughts.

On a lofty mountain peak,
He's there.
Anywhere you go,
He's been there from the start.

Find the answer in His word;
It's true.
You'll be strong because He walks with you.
By His faithfulness He'll change you, too
God answers prayer.

Well, after humming to the song, I went to bed feeling a little better knowing that God will work something through. Went to work this morning, first day of new academic year. I sat down with a primary 3 boy as he was reading his Chinese storybook and I asked him to tell me the story. He started the story, in the beginning, there were tribal people and they live in a desert with the rainbow snake. And I stopped there and I asked him, do you think that's how the world was created. And to my pleasant surprise, he said, no and in turn he told me the creation story. We had chapel today and we sang,

Jesus loves me! This I know,
For the Bible tells me so;
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but He is strong.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me! He who died,
Heaven's gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me! loves me still,
When I'm very weak and ill;
From His shining throne on high,
Comes to watch me where I lie.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me! He will stay,
Close beside me all the way;
He's prepared a home for me,
And some day His face I'll see.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

It was then I was comforted to know that, yes, Jesus loves me and things will work in a way that He'll work it out to the best for us for Him. Felt a lot better. Wrote Babe's aunty an email asking her to pray for us and that settled my heart and soul a lot.

I had dinner with Beth and she's also wanting to adopt. She's also a Christian. Had a nice dinner with her. We talked about stuff and we both shared the same vision and reason why we want to adopt. Talking to her made me feel a lot better understanding that God somewhat have reasons for the people that I meet. It took a 9 year old to remind me about God's greatness. It took a stranger, Beth, that I've become friends with, her encouragement that I should believe in my convictions.

Babe called and I told him briefly about Dad's concern and to my surprise, he didn't agree to what Dad's concern but rather he seem to want to adopt and go on with it. He's very supportive and he understands my point of view and increasingly,he's beginning to have to same views and visions. Praise the Lord for it.

While writing this post, my telly's turned on to Channelnewsasia and when I looked up, Geogory Burn was speaking. He's an artist that was stricken with polio when he was a kid and thus, he has a physical disability. It was like God was speaking to me about Muyang. As much as I want to just bite the bullet and go through with it, we want our families to be supportive and understand why we want to adopt. There are times that I wish that I can just lie and say, ya, I can't have a child and therefore I want to adopt. But reality is that I never ever wanted kids of my own. There are children in the world that want and need a loving family and if we can provide one for a child, then why not?

Do pray for us as we seek God's will.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to write a book and use the words to the song "God answers prayer." Do you know the song writer so that I may get his permission?
I love that song, too. I sing it to my girls most nights. It's been a comfort to me also.
Thank you,
Rebekah

sunniefaith said...

Hi Rebekah,

It's nice to know that there are people out that that read my blog. The author of this song is Frances Towle Rath. I don't know much about his life but I'm sure that God must have truly blessed him that he wrote such a beautiful song.

Faith