Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Costs of Friendship

Last night I went to pay up for my ticket to States for summer. After paying my ticket, I walked to Tag Huer to pick up my watch. We sent it there to change the battery and for servicing. While waiting for the watch, I walked around to look at the watches on display. I confess that I have a huge penchant for watches from Tag Huer. Don't ask me why, but I just like them. There's a pink watch there that's I've been looking for a long time. And I have a huge, huge penchant for pink as well. As I was looking and it hit me, for the money that I've paid for my ticket to San Diego, I could have bought the watch that I really like.

That got me thinking about the true costs of friendship. Sure, I could have gotten the watch and forgo my trip to San Diego and just spend time in Spore. One might ask and wonder, what's the point of going to San Diego since I've been there last summer already. Might as well get the watch as its tangible. Not forgetting with the trip, I'll be spending more money there as well. But when I think about it, I really beg to differ. Spending time with Eve, is not something that's tangible. And just to be in the same continent is already hard enough. Plus with the time difference, it is really hard to call and chat with her. Plus, I strongly believe that there are times with long distance friendships that we really need to reconnect and spend time with each other. Some people find it hard to understand but reality, it's hard to find a friend like Eve.

Had dinner with some friends and it was how apt that the conversation turned to friendships and I mentioned that it is hard in HK to find friends that I can really pour my heart out to because of the lack of layers that a friendship has. Anyone that has lived overseas away from close friends will understand what I mean. Sometimes, there's a pressure to make fast friends and the analogy that we had last night was making tiramisu with cream cheese instead of mascaprone cheese (can't spell the cake and the cheese). Times are hasten, quicken but with somethings, we still need time to build upon. Well, thankfully, my life has been pretty peaceful and I don't have many struggles and hurdles that I need to call someone to bare my soul to. And in the event that I really need, I'm sure my best friends, no matter how far they are, they will be there for me. Thanks!

Well, I've been pretty free these days as Babe is in Spore for a week and my mind is free to have a jog around my head, I started to ponder again. Oh, actually pondering started because on Monday night, my clothes rack in the spare room gave way. And that pissed me off because I had to find room in my real cupboard to squeeze in my clothes. And I realised how much clutter and crap that I've accumulated. Those who know me would probably know that I love clothes, shoes and bags. And I have a tendency to hoard them and not chuck them out. I always think, someday, I'll be able to fit into this pair of jeans, or this pair of shoes are old but I really love them and it's the same with my bags.

When I sat down and I thought.....Isn't that the same with me and my friendships with some people? Sometimes there are people that I've outgrew their friendship or they outgrew me, some have used me and I've used them and so they are of no real use anymore and some friends were just not friends to have right from the beginning. But I still have their emails. their numbers and there are still on my Facebook. I don't want to delete them out of my contact list on my phone, emails and facebook. But why? Do I have some hope that someday, some friends and me will realise that we have not outgrown each other? Or is it nice to know that I'm x-number of friends on my Facebook? Or maybe someday I may still need their contacts? And then, on the ferry last night, it hit me! I'm am so freaking shallow. If I don't need their friendships, why the hell do I want to let them linger on? What good is there for me? Decluttering operation have to start!

No comments: