Monday, April 21, 2008

Start of the Typhoon Season

On Thursday, the air was extreme still and stifling. It was energy zapping. I could basically stand in the corridor of the school and feel my energy being zapped away from me. Before heading home, I was kidding with my colleague on how nice it was be if there'll be a typhoon signal 8 tomorrow. And.....in the evening, true enough, typhoon signal 1 was hoisted. And I was thinking.....hmm....maybe the typhoon would get stronger tomorrow. But ha! No chance. The next day, it remained at number 1 till in the evening after I finished class around 10. It became a signal 3. The next day, I woke up with a signal number 3 still on. Had to go to pick up something for Joanne so we went out. And with the wind bellowing, our umbrella broke and rain came down.

Got home safely, after lunch. We thought, maybe later in the evening we can go to the gym or the supermarket. But no chance! The rainstorm became a black rainstorm. From our balcony, I could see the trees swaying from side to side, no one walking their dogs. Basically, it did look a little scary outside. Babe was channel surfing and apparently, in Macau, it was a signal 8. Ferries stopped and people were just stranded at the ferry pier. And this is the first time in years that a typhoon had arrived so early in Hong Kong. And well, this is just the start, apparently, there'll be more typhoons on the way.

We stayed at home the whole day and evening. Was talking to mum on the phone and mentioned to her that if the storm persist tomorrow, we won't be going to church. Slept and the next day, surprisingly, it was all calm. The storm stopped. While walking to the pier, we saw a couple of trees uprooted by the storm. And the thought hit me, if my faith and trust in God is not strong enough, in times of storms, how easily I can be uprooted. It served as a wonderful reminder.

I've been reading 'With God, All Things are Possible'. I bought this book in Page 1 and without even really looking through it, I just bought it. But when I started reading it. I believe that God must have lead me to the book. I've discovered and begin to understand myself and my relationship with the Almighty a lot more. I'm beginning to realise the lessons that I've learnt along the way, God has a purpose for it. Like John Beling mentioned in church yesterday, our journey to heaven is liken to a journey that we take from Hong Kong to a certain destination. Some of us take the most direct route and some of us take many stopovers before reaching and some take a long time to reach. But whatever it is, God has planned a route for us individually and we have to trust Him for that.

It's nice that over the weekend, I'm able to see life lessons. We spent a nice lunch with Kum Hoong and his dad. It's always nice to spend time with family and people that we're familiar with.

No comments: