Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Pursuit of Happyness and With God, I can do All Things

Over the weekend, I watched the Pursuit of Happyness on HBO. It was a bittersweet show. Wife left husband and son because she could no longer deal with unpaid bills and rent. Husband scored an unpaid intern program at a brokerage firm. Because of increasing debts and other stuff, father and son find themselves homeless and spent evenings rushing to the homeless shelter to secure a room for a night. There were times that they had to spend nights in a bathroom of the subway station or just ride the subway all night. It was hard to watch and see the dad struggle and provide for the family and the frustrations and hardships that he had to go through. But in the end, he was hired by the company and he became a very successful person. There were thoughts that ran through my head. Why and how can the wife walk out on her husband if she claims that she loves him? What about for richer or for poorer? What happened to that concept?

Having written that, I must confessed that I have given advice to a friend to leave her husband. She went through quite a bit with him or actually, I'm not sure if she did really go through a lot with him. I must say, that I've only listened to one side of the story and looking back now, I'm not truly sure of the severity of the situation or who really was the victim of their issues. Anyway, my point is, I've realised that whatever the situation any couple is in, as an outsider, I'm in no position to judge and if someone wants to leave their marriage, it's up to that person.

The irony of the show, husband did really well. He went on to start his own brokerage firm and subsequently sold it for huge amounts of money. Wife left him because he was penniless and well, I really wonder if she's kicking herself now that her husband has made it big!

Before the show, I read 'With God, I can do All Things.' I seriously don't know who the author is but I had a really good time reading the book and understanding God's plan for me and really learning that it's time for me to put my faith and trust in God. I'm beginning to really understand that God in our lives has purposes that we do not know. And every step that we take, God has a reason that we may not be able to see and understand but in time to come, He will make it clear to us.

Now that my life is a lot less complicated, and I do have a little more time t0 myself despite the fact that twice a week I've to attend classes, I decided that it's time for me to attend bible study. So, yesterday, I gathered myself with my huge bible to Lan Kwai Fong for bible study. I had a good time learning more about God and got to meet more ladies from church and was able to listen to another person's personal struggle with life. Made me really thankful for my life and His blessings and at the same time, I know that I need to be of good courage to others. It was also a little irony that bible study was conducted at Lan Kwai Fong!.

No comments: