Friday, January 08, 2010

Happily Ever After?

The past Christmas holidays was a good reminder that love may not necessary be happily ever after. I know, i sound cynical and I just attended a wedding too. But please don't be mistaken that I didn't enjoy the wedding dinner. On contrary, I had a really good time reconnecting with friends and seeing the beautiful couple tango down the aisle. Really beautiful.

During the time I was back in Spore, I met a friend whose wedding I attended many, many years ago. She's a lovely girl. We talked and I asked how she was. Sure, I heard from friends that she was separated from her husband. But I wanted to hear from herself and not from others. She started telling me about stuff. And I thought in my head, 'They were such a great couple! Never knew that they would end!'. Of course, there's always two sides of the story but whatever it is, I really never expected the outcome that she told me.

A couple days after my chat with her, we attended a wedding dinner. When the powerpoint slide came on, tears almost rolled down my cheeks. But no, cannot ruin my makeup! It was so so sweet and it totally reminded me of the wedding vows that I took some seven years ago. I sat and wonder if Babe and me would really stand the test of time.

A wedding is probably an event that last a day or two but a marriage for most is for a lifetime. However, sometimes it doesn't. That happened to my friend. A marriage takes a lot of work and I do not deny that. There are days that are great and some not too good and some, I just want to throw the towel in. But very often, I am reminded that God has given me a man who loves me in totality and I should do the same. I am not perfect and therefore I cannot expect perfection. For now, I can say, we are doing the best that we can for our happily ever after. But ask me in 10 years' time, maybe the answer might be different but whatever it is, I know that I love Babe and yes, everyday, we are working towards a better and loving relationship even though there are difficult days ahead.

No comments: