Sunday, February 25, 2007

Drugs or Emptiness, Which is Worse?

Thinking of the movie that we watched yesterday. My current cutie, Daniel Wu, said this in the movie, it's emptiness that drives people to take drugs. And he continued, so which is worse, emptiness or drugs?

It is also an irony in the movie, the guys that run the drug syndicates, do not take drugs. To them, it's just a business. And this brought me to think about the legal vice industries. WK used to be in the alcohol industry and he didn't drink as much and it's the same with some of his ex-colleagues. In the tobacco industry, it's the same. Most senior executives there do not smoke. I have to say this even though I know that I must have mentioned a million times, thank God that WK left the alcohol industry.

Back to the question, which is worse, emptiness or drugs? In my opinion, it's emptiness. If one did not feel empty, one wouldn't have to turn to drugs. I don't have many addictions in my life, thank God. But I do have to admit that there are times that I have an issue with shopping. Whenever I've a bad day or I'm feeling a little down, I feel the need to shop. To me, buying something makes me happy. Wait, it's not about owning or possessing the object itself. But rather, it's the process of just bringing the item to the counter and having the sales person passing me the package and then there's a high. And the high may just last a couple of minutes. Brutal truth, when I get home, I don't even look, care or want to see what I've bought. I've never tried shooting up before and neither do I want to try it. Maybe an addiction with drugs might be the same. It's the emptiness that drives one to crave for a high. But once getting that high, there may be regrets. Yes, I've regrets with my purchases. Sometimes I wonder, what possessed me to buy that hideous looking thing!

Over the years, I've learnt and am still learning to cope with my shopping habit. I know that it's nothing compared with a drug addiction. But at the end of it, it boils down to the feeling of emptiness. And yes, conclusion, emptiness is the bad guy.

No comments: