Sunday, February 11, 2007

Visiting Grandma

We went to visit Grandma in her village yesterday. WK came with me. It was his first time visiting rural China. Was interesting for him.



The first 4 pics were taking on the way to Grandma's place. I was just taking random pictures along the highway. Each time I go visit Grandma, it's interesting to see new buildings popping up.
This is Chang An. From what I understand from the driver. It's about 1 hour from Grandma's village. This is the closest to a city in Dong Guan. Apparently, it's where the rich in Dong Guan live. Well, honestly, I don't think I'll be able to live there though. I'm a city person...This is way too rural for me.
On the way to Grandma's Village. It looks like a nice quaint little park.
Some real huge thingy which looks like a banana to me. This monument or sculpture or whatever it is, is near Grandma's place.
The driveway to the hotel where we got off and catch a cabby to Grandma's place.
In the lobby, pardon my ugly clothes. Have to blend in with the locals, you know....
Some new mall sprouting in Grandma's city. But check out the name. Smell City??? What on earth is that? Smelly mall??? Can't they call it something like Fragrant City or anything better?
Another mall. Sometimes I'm torn between modernisation, pulling down and building new buildings and keeping the old. To me, lots of history disappears and then people tend to forget what was there before.
My Grandma and me! We took this before we left in the lobby of the hotel.
Grandma and me in front of the huge, huge blossom tree. Don't know what kind of blossom tree.
Grandma, Wee Kiat and me. WK has not seen Grandma in about 7 years.

The trip was really good. I love spending time with Grandma although I should have gone and seen her earlier. WK had a little shock with being in rural China. But all in all, it was a good trip. I think Grandma must be glad to see WK and me. Grandma was not feeling too good recently. I guess it was the cold that might have gotten to her. Well, she's fine now, I think. We walked like for a long, long time. She brought us everywhere. My legs are still tired now.

I chatted with Grandma quite a bit and I want to know more about her before she goes home with the Lord. She was born in 1912. Well, she's not sure really when her birthday was. She was the youngest in her family. If I can remember correctly, she had a brother and probably 3 sisters. And trying to remember what she said to me, her siblings have passed on. Not really sure though. She left Liao Bu, Dong Guan in China when she was 13 with her sister. And when she was 21, Grandpa and her got married. They were married for around 40 years. While talking to her, it is obvious that she misses Grandpa a lot. Honestly, one part of me wants her to remain on earth and not go to heaven. But then again, won't that be selfish of me to want her to remain on earth when she came return home to be with the Lord and to see Grandpa again.

Isn't life hard at times? We want things for our selfish reasons and not see the bigger picture. I really have to make a lot more effort to see Grandma more. It's better to spend time with her now when she's around. Grandma, thanks for everything and we love you!!!

No comments: