Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Living Overseas

Woke up this morning with an sms from Veron. She popped Ashwyn out last night. So happy for her. Been wanting to call Vanitha for ages and well, since I had time this morning, I called her.

We chatted for a long time. She was one of my friends from work. Note, I used the word, friend from work, not just an ex-colleague. And she makes really yummy cakes too! Her husband and her live in Perth now. It's hard for me knowing that it's going to be rare for me to meet up with her. I'm not much of a Perth person, you know?

Well, back to my post. It's fun living overseas, nice having an experience, an adventure but at the same time there are cons. I remember when I was doing my masters, I missed my sister's engagement. And this time round living in HK, I do seem to miss quite a bit of stuff. I really want to see Veron's new baby but well, that has to wait for another 5 months. Stan is getting engaged this weekend as well. Me missing that....He's like my best friend. But don't worry, I'll be back for his wedding. And there are little things that I seem to be missing out. Seeing Marcia's little girl, watching my friends' kids growing up. But I guess, I'm getting used to it.

Looking back, I've been in and out of Singapore since I was 21 and been missing a lot of stuff that went on with family and friends. But then again, it's part of life. It's the choice I made and I guess, I've to live with it. We had a farewell dinner for Michelle last night. We had a good time. It's funny when you look at it, Michelle leaves and we'll miss her for a couple of weeks and then life goes on and her absence will hardly be felt. Isn't it the same with me? I mean when I left, everyone said goodbye and then within a few weeks, everyone's life goes on. My family and friends have gotten to the fact that I live in HK now and it's not a big deal anymore.

Anyway, enough of my rumbling. Oh, watched Charlotte's Web yesterday. My take home from that show, Wilbur was able to look beyond Charlotte's hideous looks and be friends with her. It's something that got to me. How many of us are willing to go beyond just looks? I have to admit, I can't but I'm learning. And like I always say, everyday is a learning process.

No comments: