Monday, February 05, 2007

My Funeral

No, family and friends, don't worry, I'm not dying.....Not yet, actually, not that I know of...Well, it's just one of those posts again....

Watched Chinese Restaurants yesterday and the narrator interviewed this guy and 2 years after his interview the restaurant owner died. What touched me was when I saw the number of people that attended his funeral. It was an amazing turn out. I always believe that a person's success is not measured by the number of people that turns up at his or her wedding, birthday parties but rather his or her funeral. People who turn up at a person's funeral are people that were touched in one way or another by the deceased. In the Asian context, funerals are taboo, bad luck and many would shun going to funerals. I remember going for Adrian, Derrick and Uncle Vincent's funeral and there were heaps of people. Their funerals serve as reminders to me to lead a life that is worth living for.

Sometimes I wonder what sort of legacy will I leave behind when I go. What will people remember me by? Am I the bitch that swore at everyone or am I the person that people enjoyed my friendship? What will be remembered as? It may not be important as I'll be dead. But it is important as it shows the person that I was. And that led me to think of my own funeral. What do I want it to be? I admit, I am morbid....yes morbid to the point that I may be crazy. Well, like Eve said, she'll never find another one like me!

Whenever I go for a funeral, I always remind Joanne, my sister, that at my wake and funeral, make sure that everything is pink. Pink, remember....Tell people to come in pink and black. No white, white makes people look fat. Make sure I have a pink coffin and tell people that if they want to send me flowers, make sure that it's geberas or daisies. I tell my sister all these because I don't trust WK with such things. He might be too distraught and not remember such details. So family and friends, remember, pink is the colour for my funeral.

I remember once telling mum that if ever that I'm on a life support machine, please shut it off too. Don't waste the money, I'd rather be in heaven. Why bother to let me suffer and people around me to suffer? And yes, remember when you're visiting me, please accidentally trip and pull out my plug!

I'm not depress or anything like that. But rather, I much rather face life as it is and face it and live it. There is no point being afraid of death. And whenever I read stuff and watch stuff about death, it never fails to remind me to lead a godly and right life so that my legacy lives.

No comments: