Monday, October 23, 2006

Living a Full Life


My cutie!! This was taken at The Peak. We brought his parents there for sightseeing.
WK's parents are in town. Well, I'm going to be honest about it, it's hard for me. WK and me come from very different kinds of family. My family is very open and basically, I'm left to my own devices, make my own decisions and my parents respect them. WK's parents are rather conservative, they have their mindset and it can be hard to try to change it. And they speak Chinese. Not that I've anything against that but we do have a communication barrier.

I've lots and lots of respect for WK's parents, especially his mum. She saved and scrimped to give him an Australian education, a nice wedding and basically she did her best for him. She's very thrifty to the point that I wonder if it's the right thing to do. I remember once during sermon Paster Heng mentioned that mothers should not try to eat the leftovers from children because it'll inculcate in them that it's ok to give their mothers leftovers and trash. Well, that's with WK's mum. She takes all the leftovers. She hardly travels and WK's father has never taken the plane, this is his first time on the plane. They never splurge on clothes, food and anything. I'm pretty sure that they have lots of savings.

And when I look at my life, well, I've travelled more than they have, err...I've way too much clothes, bags, shoes and everything. But...zero savings! And I wonder in reality, am I happier than them or are they happier. I would wish that they lighten up a lot more and be more adventurous. My sisters are pretty adventurous and they love travelling as well. They can pick up their back pack and go around the world. But WK and his brother aren't that adventurous. WK is getting a lot better as he went to Australia to study and he travels for his work as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we need to find that balance in life. Life is not all about saving heaps and heaps of money...neither is it like me and spending heaps and heaps of money. And being adventurous. Well, not like Crikey but in life we need to take risks. But I call it calculated risks.

WK's mum initially wasn't too pleased about me coming to HK to work and it was worse when WK came over to HK as well. But the issue for us is very simple, we're here for the money and we wanted to venture out. But her point of view is rather different. She's afraid that we'll never return back to HK. But reality of life is that, we never know where our lives will bring us to. God leads and we follow. I wanted badly to go back and live in Australia but I know that God is not leading us that way. And I find it hard to explain what my thoughts are to her. I guess it's the language barrier and also the mindset that she has. With my parents, I was raised and trained to think independently and make my decisions and share them with my parents. Well, they may or may not like it and will give me their opinions but ultimately, the decision is always mine. I love my parents for that. But that also creates an issue with my in laws as I believe whatever decision making process that WK and me take, it's only between the both of us and they should respect it. Don't be mistaken, I love my in laws but getting married, sometimes it feels that I'm getting another set of parents as well. And this is my first time actually staying in the same apartment as them. People who live with their in laws...You have my respect!

Life is hard....very hard...But then again, life is what we make it to be.


Happy family...I'm not in the pic because I'm the photographer. This was taken at The Peak. It's a nice place. It'll look even better in the night.
Hong Kong
12.10 pm

No comments: