Thursday, March 13, 2008

When The Going Gets Tough.....

I've been back to reading again. It started with CNY hols in Singapore that I sat in the sun to read and started reading and getting into the book that I didn't realised that I was getting sunburnt! I was reading Kite Runner and after reading it, I just had to get Khaled Hosseini's other book, A Thousand Splendid Suns. Both books touched me deeply and I started to ponder and wonder about human nature. To me, these two books in a way was similar to William Golding's Lord of the Flies. It goes to show true human nature in times of adversity.

With Kite Runner, the main character betrayed his best friend in times of adversity but when he wanted to repay, it was hard. He had to pay back for his sins. I wonder, how many would gladly give up their best friend in times of shit? But it was sad that his best friend in protecting him, had to endure several punishments later from his tormenter and even his son was not spared. It really broke my heart reading how humans can stoop that low.

A Thousand Splendid Suns, brought a little ray of sunshine after reading. This book was a little different as it showed in times of adversity, the two ladies stood by each other. And when the going was really going tough, the older lady laid down her life for her best friend so that she'll have a better life.

Adversity really brings out the true human nature in a person. In my opinion, in adversity, a truly strong character will shine through, however, a weak character will crumble down. I know a friend who I thought was a really strong person. Or, she gave that facade that she is a very strong person or she would like others to think that she's strong, independent and whatever. But when shit happens, she crumbles like an apple crumble. She becomes a blame shifter, a finger pointer, and becomes a weak person. To me, it's funny because she pokes fun at people who crumble in adversity and give a load of advices to others when they crumble. But when shit happens to her, she's like this weakling! At the same time, I've met ladies who at first glance, I'm like what a lady, so weak, so demure and whatever. But it is these ladies with a quiet deposition, demure character that shine in times of adversity. They walk out from the adverse, hard and difficult situations with their heads high in the head and coming out stronger.

But I guess, people are different. We're made up differently. And it is this difference that make us interesting. I wonder as well, how many of my best friends will really lay down his or her life for me? And would I do the same?

No comments: