Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What is a Home?

I went apartment hunting with Michelle today. While apartment hunting, something stuck me. What is a home? What makes a home? What's the difference between an apartment and a home. What does it really mean by your home country? These questions started to swim in my head.

There were some apartments that we saw and we knew that it's not going to make a home. Well, to a certain extent, when I have a little more money than I had when I was in university, it makes a whole lot of difference. We saw a few studios, and a couple of rooms in a serviced apartment block, instantly we both felt the same thing. It is not a home. I felt that a home is my shangri-la, sanctuary, a healing place and somewhere I go back to rejuvenate. It is not somewhere that I dread going to.

Then the next question, where is my home country then? When I fill up immigration card, what is my country of residence now. Singapore is my first home, in a way, it'll always be. Australia at one point of time was my home country. When I first graduated from uni, I really wanted to stay in Australia as my friends were still there. Over time, the desire to stay in Australia diminished. Then I went back to uni to do my masters. Again, when I graduated, I wanted so badly to stay again as my friends were there. But when I found out that Eve was leaving Sydney, again, the desire to move back to Sydney, died. Now that I'm in Hong Kong, do I feel the same. At this point of time, it is too quick for me to say anything. I like Hong Kong but I don't know it well enough to say that I want to stay here forever....But I guess for the next 2 years, when I fill up immigration card, Hong Kong will be my country of residence.

Michelle got her visa today...She's so happy now. One thing down for her. Had dinner with new friends again. Love meeting new people. 2 days to my babe's arrival!

11.15 pm

Hong Kong

No comments: