Thursday, August 24, 2006

Teaching a Child to Fish Instead of Giving the Fish to the Child

Went to another teacher training program today. Well, it was interesting as it is conducted again in Cantonese. The principal stayed throughout the workshop. I was pretty impressed by it. At the end of the workshop, in my limited Cantonese and with translations, I understood that she said that the speaker is teaching us how to fish and not to give us a fish.

While she was speaking, my thoughts drifted to what she said. I agree that as teachers, we should equip our students with fishing skills instead of just providing the fish. What is then fishing skills and what is then giving fish to them? Are we teaching students just to pass and score well for the examinations or are we teaching them how to survive in the world, critical thinking skills? In my opinion, teaching them to pass examinations is giving them the fish. But teaching them how to survive in the world, teaching them critical thinking skills, is giving them fishing skills. It is something for us as educators to think about.

And in 2 hours' time, my babe will be here!!!! Ya!!!!

5.25 pm

Hong Kong

No comments: